My Russian side of the family is all about potatoes and meat. We like it simple and hearty! It’s now April, and I’m sure there will be cool days ahead still (at least for me here, in Siberia), I enjoy this meal especially on nice cold afternoons or evenings. This Chicken Potato Bacon Casserole does not represent Russian cuisine, but it’s pretty close. Even though it takes an hour or so to cook, it’s quick to put together and great for a week night, plus it leaves plenty of leftovers!
Chicken Potato Bacon Casserole
Prep time: 15-20 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
1 lb chicken breasts
6 medium potatoes (you can leave the skin on)
1 tablespoon hot sauce (or less for less spice)
1/3 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 cups cheddar (or any cheese to your liking)
1 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup green onion, diced
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray or olive oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together hot sauce, olive oil, salt, black pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken and the potatoes in cubes.
- Add the chicken and the potatoes to the large bowl with the sauce and mix well.
- Transfer the potato mixture to the baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake at 400F for about an hour. Stir the mixture every once in a while to make sure everything cooks evenly. It’s done when it’s nice and crispy.
- Prepare the bacon. You can either get the kind that comes in small packets, it’s already diced and cooked, or you can dice and cook it yourself.
- After the chicken and potatoes are cooked, remove the dish from the oven. Generously sprinkle cheese over it (the more, the better), then bacon, then diced onion. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.