One of our favorite desserts to make is Pavlova! Pavlova is a meringue-based dessert named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova. It is a meringue cake with a crisp crust and soft and light inside. It is usually topped with fruit and whipped cream.
This dessert tastes a lot like my Meringue Cookies, but even better!! Since it’s the 4th of July this next week I decided to make a Patriotic Pavlova! I LOVE how it turned out.
PAVLOVA FLAG CAKE
Pavlova cake is super easy to make. All you need to do it whip 6 egg white until soft peaks form, add 1 C sugar slowly and keep whipping. Mix 1 T cornstarch with rest of sugar (1/2 c) and fold into batter along with 1 t. lemon juice and almond or vanilla extract. Fold together softly. Next cut a piece of parchment paper and lay it on a greased cookie sheet. I made it a rectangle, but traditionally Pavlova is a circle. Smooth it out on the parchment paper. Place in Oven on 275 for 45 mins or until lightly brown on top. Turn oven off and let it sit in the oven for 30 more mins. Whip the cream using 2 cups heavy whipping cream and 1 powdered sugar. Wash blueberries and strawberries and place over whip cream to represent a flag. Then serve. This deseret is pretty rich, so most likely your kids will not be asking for more.We made it a couple of weeks ago in a circle and it tasted really yummy with bananas.
Click HERE to get Full Printable Recipe
- 6 Egg Whites
- 1 1/2 Cup Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 T Cornstarch
- 1t Lemon juice
- 1t Vanilla or Almond Extract
- 2 1/2 Cups Whipping Cream
- 1 C Powdered Sugar
- Strawberries and Blueberries
- 1- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Cut out a rectangle and place on a greased pan.
- 2- In a big bowl crack 6 egg whites and beat on high speed until you form soft peaks. Add 1 cup of sugar and mix making sure sugar is dissolved. With the rest of the sugar mix it with the cornstarch and lightly fold into the mix and add lemon juice and extract.
- 3-Spread the meringue layer to fit on the parchment using a spatula.
- 4- Bake in oven for 45 mins or until lightly tanned on the top. Turn off the oven and let it sit in the oven for 30 extra mins.
- 5- When cool it should be hard on the outside and slightly soft on the inside.
- 6- Cut up fruit and set aside